student placement opportunities
Knowsley Council provides opportunities for students to shadow social workers and with a range of multi-agency professionals within Adults and Children’s Social Care..
Students are supported to attend student support programme, relevant in-house training as well as preparation for applications and the interview process forto continue your social work journey. There are placement opportunities in teams with expertise in the following areas;
Adult Social Care
Knowsley Adult Social Care undertakes statutory duties under pieces of legislation including the Care Act 2014, Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Mental Health Act 1983. These includes assessments, support plans, completing safeguarding investigations, authorising Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards applications from managing authorities and undertaking Approved Mental Health Practitioner (AMHP) duties. There are placement opportunities in Adult teams with expertise in the following areas;
- Community; completing assessments, reviews, shadowing complex casework, transition, supporting adults with physical and/or learning disabilities, older people with additional physical and/or mental health needs, supporting the completion of support plans, shadowing the completion of capacity assessments and Best Interests decisions and Court of Protection work.
- Prevention; this is the front door provision, potential carer breakdown, out of hours working, completing assessments, casework with adults who have physical and learning disabilities, older people with additional physical and health needs and other adults who may have care and support needs, arranging and commissioning emergency respite.
- Review; supporting community and residential care package or placement reviews, casework with adults as above and reviewing complex packages of support including combined reviews of supported accommodation services when people share accommodation.
- Recovery (Mental Health); supporting primarily severe and enduring Mental Health issues, casework with people living in nursing, residential and independent settings, hospital discharge. Statutory work as above, social circumstances reports in relation to people detained.
Children’s Social Care
Knowsley Children‘s Social Care works with children from pre-birth to aged 18 and Care Leavers up to 25. The service has an Out of Hours service and Child Exploitation team. There are placement opportunities in teams with expertise in the following areas;
- Child Protection Teams; responsible for undertaking all assessments re: safeguarding, working with key agencies, voluntary support via Child in Need plans, statutory intervention and legal proceedings.
- Looked After Children; supporting children up to the age of 14 who are subject to an Interim Care Order/Care Order, this includes supporting care planning and implementation at parental home, in foster care, residential or secure placements. Includes life story work and completing Personal Education Plans.
- Children with Disabilities; completing ongoing assessments, supporting families and children complex needs and tailoring support packages to meet those needs, multi-agency planning and arranging short breaks if required.
- Young People; supporting teenagers aged 14 to aged 18 who are Looked After and who are in need of support, ensuring children’s needs are met socially emotionally and academically and they are safe from harm including child exploitation, supporting young people regarding leaving care.
For further information regarding Knowsley Children’s Social Care please visit; www.knowsleysocialworkacademy.co.uk